Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Dirlling metal at an angle?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:21:58 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

My "new" car has more empty space in the engine compartment,
but it has almost no "wall space". There are a couple
spots big enough to mount things, ...

What are you going to mount in there, more cupholders?

Yea, I thought that was the obvious question here. Nobody else caught
that one.

A siren. Right now the alarm just blows a couple horns. It's
feeble.

And a cupholder.

I wonder why "new" was in quotes.

Because it's only new to me. It's a 2000 Solara convertible, in
great shape, ;76,000 miles.

No good reason to be drilling in an engine compartment.
Any aftermarket stuff you might put in there should come
with clamp-on attachments.

Not sure what surface he could be talking about. Radiator bulkhead?
Firewall?

Radiator had no spots, firewall none I could get to and had enough
space, plus the firewall requires checking out what's on the other
side.

So far the most likely spot is the shock tower on the driver's side.
Yes, I could probably take the wheel off and drill from the other
side, but it would be hard to get the holes in just the right place.
There isn't much room. Like I say, there is almost no wall space.