Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

Just a WAG.. 240VAC line voltage compared to 120V in the US. Other than this
difference, I'll stick to my previous statement of maybe I'm just lucky..
that the ones I've been using light up quickly (but fail in less than half
the time stated on the packaging.. yep, lucky).

--
Cheers,
WB

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
On 21/09/2011 2:34 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:

Only the very early versions of CFLs I purchased were slow to reach full
output.. maybe I've just been lucky, but the ones I use every day come
on quickly.

My experience has been that they're fine when new, but as they age, they
take longer and longer to reach, or even approach, full brightness.

I had been under the impression from previous discussion that this was
attributed to the deteriorating ESR in cheap capacitors, but that view
doesn't seem to be getting any support here.

Sylvia.