Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Does this mean the wood is ready to turn?

On 09/19/2011 09:56 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:

A blank more than 2 inches thick will not be dry at two years of age.
Depending how it was stored, a thinner one also might not be. So you
might as well have turned it green and then dried it.

That's the conventional wisdom for drying lumber, i.e. 8'+ boards, but
on a small blank that's somewhere between 6" to 24" will dry much faster
as the end of the wood is only 3" to 12" away from any given point. The
wax will slow it down, but I'd expect it to be pretty dry by that time
if it was kept inside.

If it was me, I'd probably rough turn it, wait a couple weeks and see
how much it moves then finish turn it. And the microwave is always an
option (be cautious).

If you're planning on turning a lot of home dried wood, a moisture
meeter isn't a bad investment...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb