Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames Carl Ijames is offline

Default Delrin/acetal sheet - cost?

At work we pay about $220 for a 2' x 4' x 3/8" thick sheet of black Acetron
GP (copolymer acetal), which going by weight would imply about $440 for a 4'
x 8' x 3/16" sheet. Our favorite supplier for plastics is Sabic
Polymershapes but Total Plastics usually isn't bad either (here in Maryland,
anyway). Definitely pay them to cut any material to your final size, the
smaller pieces make shipping much cheaper and they have the right blades and
setup for good quality cuts. A typical cut spec is -0 + 0.02". I know some
materials aren't available in larger sheets above some maximum thickness, I
guess it's possible you are running into that limit. Just call a few
distributors and they will tell you.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Dennis" wrote in message
news

"DougC" wrote in message
At some point in the future I will need a sheet of delrin/acetal, 4 x 8
feet and 3/16" thick. The color doesn't matter. I can't use smaller sizes
since I'll need unbroken strips around 72" long.

Assuming I can pick up, what would be a reasonable price for this? There's
not too many places listing prices for whole 4x8 sheets, just smaller
pieces. Judging by those prices, the full-sheet cost could be anywhere
from $600 to $1000.

Also does Cope Plastics sell single sheets to individuals? There is a
warehouse location near me I'm hoping that will. I won't need it for a
while so I haven't bothered them yet.

No ideas on a supplier where you are, but consider getting them to cut it to
size for you. We do this with some plastic we buy & the cost is reasonable
considering it comes in ready for final machining.