Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

On 21/09/2011 11:14 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
On 20/09/2011 1:11 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Has anyone here tried retrofitting low ESR capacitors to CFLs with a
view to improving their turn-on performance - i.e. so that they reach
full brightness quickly?

Sylvia.

**The full brightness thing is not associated with the electronics.
It's an
issue with the gas in the tube and, to a lesser extent, the phosphor
coating. You can prove this for yourself, by measuring the light
output of a
standard (iron ballast) fluoro. Light output gradually increases over
a few
seconds (or minutes, depending on ambient temperature).

Don't sweat it anyway, LEDs will replace them in most applications very
soon. I've been mucking about with a couple of these recently:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/12w-350...p-12-14v-80310

It delivers almost double the light output of an 11 Watt T5 fluoro
and is
far more compact, dimmable and has nicer colour temperature.

Having got used to the higher colour temperatures of CFLs, I find that
I prefer them.

Incandescents weren't given a lower colour temperature because people
preferred them, it was just the way they came out. If the first
practical domestic electric lights had been of daylight colour
temperature, I imagine that's what everyone would always have wanted,
and people would have given short shrift to this yellow rubbish.

However, I note that the led emitter strips are available in higher
colour temperatures.

Sylvia.

I was given to understand that the colour of an incandescent bulb is
what humans are comfortable with, because it closely matches the colour
and spectrum of our sun.

The sun's effective temperature (the blackbody temperature that gives
approximately the same spectrum) is about 5800K, which is a lot higher
than the colour temperature of an incandescent.

The light from an incandescent is deficient in the blue end of the
spectrum, which makes blue-coloured objects look darker than they should.

Sylvia.