Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I also favor the light temperature of the daylight or sunlight CF lamps,
which are typically over 6000K. My eyes adapt to the light very well,
although I rarely use direct lighting.. most of my CFLs are pointed upward
for bounce lighting.

The majority of incandescents give off a red light, and I've read that up
to 90% of the output from incancescent lights is in the infrared region.
For folks that experience cold weather for half of the year, the infrared
adds to their comfort.
This is easily seen when using film photography as the color levels aren't
natural, but shifted so far that a blue filter is needed to achieve
natural colors.

Only the very early versions of CFLs I purchased were slow to reach full
output.. maybe I've just been lucky, but the ones I use every day come on
quickly.

I strongly suspect that widespread use of LED lighting will have a much
more severe impact on the environment that using incandescents.
The environutz are easily mislead.

I believe that the manufacture of LED lighting will use more energy and
create more pollutants than glass lamps ever did. The plastics and various
compounds used for component manufacturing will result in more
irreversible air and water contamination.
The extra slap in the face comes with the excessive plastic packaging the
CFLs are usually sold in.. when old glass lamps were generally packaged in
easily recycled paper products (even as litter, the paper breaks down to
something useful).
In addition to increased energy usage, the waste issue of CFLs and LED
lights presents more pollutants than a simple glass lamp ever did.

The LED lamps aren't going to last for an average of 10 years, not when
they'll be manufactured in China/India/etc by the lowest bidder, and using
lead-free solder and the cheapest components available.
The marketing hype and lip service are BS, as they generally always are.

The data is generally never presented in real-world terms, and there won't
be any significant data presented, such as the conversion of Las Vegas to
LED lighting.

The LED lamps that I've seen at stores won't fit in most common existing
lighting fixtures, and have a price of $30-40US. This will be a huge
unnecessary expense to an average homeowner due to a ban on incandescents.

--
Cheers,
WB

I'm really not sure that I understand your point here. You seem in favour of
CFLs, but against LEDs because they will have a greater environmental impact
than incandescents did. Well yes. That is of course true, but the
manufacturing processes involved in a CFL lamp, are still many more than in
a LED lamp, with a correspondingly larger energy budget to make and ship all
those parts. Further, the CFLs have a higher disposal energy budget, because
they contain toxic chemicals that have to be recycled properly. Granted, LED
fixtures should probably also be recycled if only to regain the materials,
but at least they are not fundamentally toxic as CFLs are, and it would be
no great shakes from an environmental impact point of view, if they did
finish up in landfill. It's the fact that the green mist brigade only see
the "less power used" angle of CFLs, and not the hugely complex and
energy-thirsty manufacturing processes, that really gets up my nose.

Arfa