Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

"kreed"

It would be a huge hassle to get the case apart, and back together
again,

** Pretty easy with most I have bought .

All the CFL's I have here that have failed, it is always the tube that
is the cause. The electronics - including the filter capacitor are
always fine, so there isnt any point in replacing it even for
longevity reasons.

** Generally, the electronics outlasts the tubes - but that is only
because the tube fails so quickly, like a few hundred up to 2000 hours at
most. I have a collection now of CFLs that are slow to come on, flicker or
have lost 40% of their light output.

The electronics will fail early if the CFL gets hot in use because it is
inside a small light fitting - like an Oyster or spherical ceiling lamp.

http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/ima...ter_17_5cm.jpg

..... Phil