Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

On 21/09/2011 2:34 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:

Only the very early versions of CFLs I purchased were slow to reach full
output.. maybe I've just been lucky, but the ones I use every day come
on quickly.

My experience has been that they're fine when new, but as they age, they
take longer and longer to reach, or even approach, full brightness.

I had been under the impression from previous discussion that this was
attributed to the deteriorating ESR in cheap capacitors, but that view
doesn't seem to be getting any support here.

Sylvia.