Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Exterior Paint Estimate for this house

On Sep 20, 2:00*pm, kansascats wrote:
Many variables of course. * *But with the plans sitting in front of
you -- the rough size of the house which could be used to approximate
the total SF, it seems some estimate like 1 day of wash, 2 days of
prep, 4 days to paint siding, 1 day for trim, could be reasonable.
Figure $40/hr and we come to $2560 plus paint & supplies. * Moorgard
is around 35-50 per gal depending on who you ask -- figure $40 for a
contractor. * I have no idea how much caulk, but that cannot be a
significant item, so forget it.

House is basically 65x60 -- so figure 250 linear feet x 10 high
(includes the soffits), plus the dormers and porch ceilings, so add
50% brings us to 3600 sf / 300 sf /gal = 12 gallons.

So now I"m at 2500 labor, 500 paint. * My idea of an estimate is more
about defining the variables so someone can play with the formula to
suit their needs.

Is what I described above reasonable?

To somebody somewhere, sure, to other people elsewhere, assuredly not.

Does that help?

There are a plenitude of construction and remodeling estimating books
that factor in local area modification indices, such as R. S. Means
and the HomeTech books. Find some, compare some, and get a meaningful
answer.

Well, meaningful in the sense that there's data to back up the
estimating numbers. The resultant number will still fall into the "if
you can't get a real guy to do it for that number, it ain't a real
number" category.

I _know_ that helps. I hope you realize that.