Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

Phil Allison wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly"

Another problem is opening up the CFL to get to the circuit board and
reattaching the cover because regular glues don't work, and you want a
strong bond that won't fail at high temperature.

** Most CFLs use no glue at all, the halves snap fit together.

Silicone adhesive ( eg Silastic) will handle the case temp easily - can be
used to secure loose glass tubes in the case too.

The only ones I've tried opening are old large MaxLite (in the photo)
and 5-year-old 14W Commercial Electric (now Home Depot's brand), and
both were glued. I opened them by carefully sawing around the
perimeter. I ended up using a fine-tooth coping saw because my Dremel
abrasive cutoff wheel gummed up with plastic. If the CFLs are snapped
together, how do we unsnap them?

I know silicone rubber glue can take the heat, but is it strong
enough? I worry about it coming loose when somebody screws in the
bulb, causing the bulb wires (magnet wire - only enamel insulation) to
short.