Andy Hall

Default Longish query - circuit breakers in consumer units

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:43:04 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

On reflection, as you suggest, keeping the lighting power on may not be the
greatest move - I was lured by the joys of electric light instead of a torch
:-)

I've implemented a fairly simple solution to deal with this, which is
a small maintained emergency light.

These can be obtained from electrical wholesalers quite inexpensively
and are a fluorescent tube fitting with electronics and a battery
backup which lasts 3 hours. I installed a small 8W one immediately
above and in front of the consumer unit in a cupboard. It is
charged from a lighting circuit and is switched on normally when the
door is opened.

However, it will also come on, powered by battery, if the power fails
or is deliberately turned off to do work.

This is much better than playing around with torches in confined
spaces or leaving the power on and working on the CU live.
I've seen the melted remains of a fairly substantial screwdriver in
the bottom of a CU after it managed a short between the bus bar and
the metal case..........

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl