Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric[_17_] Eric[_17_] is offline

Default Replace battery in Harbor Freight "solar" powered welding helmet

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:12:51 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin cell
batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case. Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I didnt'
save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty handed. Did
anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here disassembled
their HF autodark helmet to replace these?

RWL

I wasn't the one who posted about the repair but I did replace the
batteries in mine. I went to Radio Shack and bought two coin cell
holders and the cells to fit them. I then carefully split the case
with my pocket knife, removed the two dead batteries, and soldered
wires to the circuit board where the batteries used to connect. Then
mounted the new cell holders on the outside of the case, soldered the
wires to the holders, and put the case back together. I don't remember
if I glued the case or just heat sealed it with an iron. Anyway, the
cells are now on the outside and can be easily replaced when they need
to be. The cells do ot fall out of the external holders.
Eric