Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring a Shed

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:30:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sep 19, 3:53Â*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:05:17 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:

Why not use romex for the underground run. Â*It does come in direct
burial. Â*Might be cheaper to buy a 12-2 WG romex than individual
wires.

Not an electrician but my run would be Disconnect - double box Â*with
duplex outlet and a switch for the lights. Â*Evem of they are motion
dectectors it is best to wire them through a switch - some require a
switch to reset them if they fault to constant on. Â* Any additional
outlets come off the outlet in that first box. Â*Of course the right
way (as I understand it) would be the feed into the shed into a
subpanel and go from there. Â*But that would be if the circuit started
in a panel.

Harry K

He can use UF, cable similar to Romex (actually a brand name for type
NM-b a dry location only cable).
I am not sure it would really be cheaper and he will be locked into
the wire size he runs if his needs change.
Personally I would run 3/4" conduit since the difference in price from
1/2" is minimal, your pull will be a lot easier and that will leave
your options open.

The best way to go is to use an LB conduit body where it transitions
into the building, That splits up your pull a little and makes it
easier going. You will usually just have 2 bends then.
I like to suck some pulling lube through the pipe with my shop vac
before I start (squirt it in one end and suck it out the other) while
you are sucking the pull string through. Then squirt some in the other
way as you are pulling the wire back.That will make your pull go very
easily.

No need to discuss conduit vs. UF since I already ran the conduit and
pulled the wires. I now know I should have used 3/4" instead of 1/2"
so I'll count this as a lesson learned. :-(

Next time...

Yes, with 1/2", pulling in "romex" would not be a simple job.