Mike G

Default Shopsmith pricing

My second major power tool was a new Shopsmith. Now that was a couple or so
decades ago so I imagine, COLA being what it is, what I paid then is
relatively what they cost now.

I bought it then because I believed the advertising about the unit being
good for a small area shop, which my first one was, quality, and customer
support.

You know something, every bit of that advertising was true.I got major,
stand alone, brand quality with what I can only describe as, over the years,
world class service. The machine never let me down nor failed to do what was
asked of it. Too date the only thing on the machine that has needed
replacement was the power switch.

As the years went by my shops grew in size and my requirements changed and I
have some heavier metal in my shop. But you know, the Shopsmith is still
there and frequently in use. I've never bought another lathe, drill press or
half a dozen other major tools because that old Shopsmith is still pulling
it's weight for many different functions.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"GRL" wrote in message
I have heard that a new Shopsmith machine now costs $3,000. Knowing what
good quality Jet, Delta, and Grizzly equipment costs, this leads me to ask
three questions. (1) Are the people at Shopsmith completely out of their
minds in their pricing?, (2) How is it that Shopsmith is still in business
with that kind of pricing?, and (3) Does anybody actually buy Shopsmith
machines at this sort of price?

I mean, it's a fairly nicely made machine, pretty compact, and pretty
durable, but $3,000?

Am I missing something?

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)