Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default P-51 Crash

Steve B wrote:
wrote

In the case of the plane it's a LITTLE different - because at one
point it actually WAS a P51 Mustang.

I think it's going to get real interesting legally. Obviously the pilot was
a man of means, and that spells lawsuit.

It tickles my curiosity about who has the responsibility to make the final
determination regarding the aircraft modifications. I'm sure it is the FAA.
But since this is such a rare bird, the "laws" and "regulations" about such
changes will be, I think, ........ vague. This one had some changes that
were noteworthy enough to become part of the "news" about the crash and
facts that were reported. Did I just infer facts and newspeople in the same
sentence? Sorry.

I've been thinking about that too. As I understand
the FAA regs, an experimental aircraft, after major
mods, has to undergo 40 hours of flight testing over
an FAA-approved, unpopulated area to shake loose stuff
like this. I think there will be some interesting
questions raised.