Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Hall Bill Hall is offline

Default Are pine trees on topic if one needs repair?

Many Thanks to "Home Guy" for the information on the Bark Beetle. Sure
sounds like what I have encountered! Will check out the tree tomorrow for
the symptoms listed. Won't help now since the tree is dead, but may answer
my question!

Bill

Bill Hall" wrote in message
Don't know where you are located, but I can sympathize with you. I also
have a pine tree roughly the same height. This tree is probably 23 years
old and WAS a beautiful tree until about 2 months ago. Since that time, it
has progressed to total death. (If you would like a picture of this
heartbreaker, the address is valid). It has your same series of similar
holes. although mine has in excess of 50-60 holes. I do have woodpeckers
around and have seen them pecking on the tree in the past. Never had a
problem till this year. Had an Arborist review the damage for possible
woodpecker damage to no avail. Surrounding neighbors have Live Oak, Crepe
Myrtle. Maple. Cottonwood and have no damage at all. Have a Tree Removal
Company coming in this week to cut it down. If anything is found, will
post here.

BTW: I live in Plano Tx. Where , approximately are you??

Bill

"micky" wrote in message
Are pine trees on topic if one needs repair?

I have a 30 or 40 foot pine tree.

All the limbs below 7 feet have died. Is that normal?

This week, below 4 feet, I found about 20 holes spread out around the
trunk, about 1/4 to 5/16" in diameter, through the bark and into the
wood. I need to go back with a flashlight and a dental probe, but I
don't think I'll find anything but the hole.

I don't have woodpeckers around here, at least not that I can hear,
and I could hear them if they were pecking at this tree.

Are these made by some parasite?

Is it serious? Will it kill the tree? Please say no. :-)

Thanks.