Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Are pine trees on topic if one needs repair?

On 9/18/2011 9:03 PM, micky wrote:
Are pine trees on topic if one needs repair?

I have a 30 or 40 foot pine tree.

All the limbs below 7 feet have died. Is that normal?

This week, below 4 feet, I found about 20 holes spread out around the
trunk, about 1/4 to 5/16" in diameter, through the bark and into the
wood. I need to go back with a flashlight and a dental probe, but I
don't think I'll find anything but the hole.

I don't have woodpeckers around here, at least not that I can hear,
and I could hear them if they were pecking at this tree.

Are these made by some parasite?

Is it serious? Will it kill the tree? Please say no. :-)

Thanks.

Look for "bark beetle" or "wood boring beetle" on the internet. If it is
bark beetles YES it can kill your tree. In any case ask around for an
arborist. If you have a neighborhood association they may be able to
recommend one.

Bark beetles have devastated entire forests. Recently huge areas of
Yellowstone's forest were wiped out by bark beetles.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/4/49...ional_Park.jpg