Posted to alt.home.repair

Default getting appliance repair info from Sears?

On Sep 18, 8:25*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

.com...

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:10:12 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Hi all,

a friend has a dryer that is really annoying... Kenmore Elite (electric)
110.62082101 - anyway, it shuts off before the clothes are dry - it
supposedly has some automatic moisture-sensing gizmo in it, but when it
shuts off, the clothes inside are always still damp. *Now here's the
annoying thing; other than a parts list (which doesn't have anything
clearly labeled "automatic moisture-sensing gizmo") there is no info
available on Sears' web site and all of the manuals are "technician
required to order." *Anyone know of any workaround to finding useful
information online as to how we could fix this annoying thing?

thanks

nate

The "gizmo" is just a thermostat that measures the exhaust temperature
and advances the timer when it gets to the set heat..

Incorrect, most of the moisture sensing dryers utilize a parallel set of
contacts located somewhere in the dryer where the clothes will rub
against them. They work by measuring conductivity across the contacts,
i.e. wet clothes=more conductive.

In the oldest and simplest form I've seen, those contacts were connected
directly across a large timing capacitor. The capacitor slowly charged
during the dry cycle until the threshold which ended the cycle. The
conductivity of the clothes drained off some of the charge extending the
cycle.

When we had one of those we discovered an unintended consequence.
Drying the kids' snow jackets the metal zippers never let the dryer shut
off.

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

I think there are several engineered solutions to the automatic dry
detection. I have fixed ones that have the temp sensor in the air
outlet as gfretwell describes. The air leaving the dryer stays cooler
while it contains a lot of water and gets hotter as the clothes get
dry.