Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default splice fail

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 16:34:57 -0700, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

If I recall correctly, you have to either remove the insulation via a
nasty chemical stripper, or tin the wires by dipping the strand into a
solder pot at the proper temperature (with appropriate flux). Simply
using a standard soldering iron and a coil of electronic solder often
does not work... the insulation doesn't burn off properly and the
solder never reaches the underlying metal.

Nope. In my bad old days of phone phreaking, it was sometimes
necessary to repair a telephone handset coil cord. Same stuff as the
earphones... tinsel.

To make a decent connection, strip off the outer jacket CAREFULLY
exposing the tinsel and some silk strands. Take a piece of stranded
wire, strip off about 3 inches, cut one strand off, and wrap it around
the tinsel. Start by winding a few turns on the remaining insulating
jacket for strength, and then wind the wire around the tinsel and
silk. You should then be able to solder to the wire.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558