Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default splice fail

In article ,
Charles wrote:

Maybe this has something to do with the wire used in the headphones. There
are two pairs (red/copper, green/copper) of stranded copper wrapped around
nylon fibers. Does this type of wire have a proper name or require special
considerations when splicing?

I've heard it referred to as "tinsel wire". Sennheiser is well-known
for using it. This sort of wire is not trivial to solder
successfully... something about the insulation on the individual (very
fine) strands, I believe.

If I recall correctly, you have to either remove the insulation via a
nasty chemical stripper, or tin the wires by dipping the strand into a
solder pot at the proper temperature (with appropriate flux). Simply
using a standard soldering iron and a coil of electronic solder often
does not work... the insulation doesn't burn off properly and the
solder never reaches the underlying metal.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO