Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default splice fail

"newb" wrote in message
news:9461012.1621.1316373948844.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@prgd31...

My Sennheiser HD 202 headphones developed a short in one channel about ~8"
from the plug. I cut the wire before and afterwards, joined the wire,
tested and didn't experience any sound. I disconnected the splice and
attached the bear wires from one side of the headphones to a pair of wires
entering a speaker on my home system. No sound. I cut another 10" off
and tested that section for resistance - that failed (all 4 wires joined on
both sides of the 10" section). The phones aren't designed with
maintenance in mind so I can't do a resistance test at the speaker ends.

Maybe this has something to do with the wire used in the headphones. There
are two pairs (red/copper, green/copper) of stranded copper wrapped around
nylon fibers. Does this type of wire have a proper name or require special
considerations when splicing?

Was attaching these wires onto my home speaker out a valid test? Ugh,
splice fail ... I'm not a 10 year old girl but today I feel like one ....

1/ how did you determine that it was a short and the distance from the plug?
By flexing? Could have been an open ... more likely.
2/ speakers need more current than headphones ... probably not a valid test.
3/ stereo headphones ... four wires.
4/ some ten year old girls can fix this for you!