Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John G John G is offline

Default What type of metal can bend repeatedly without breaking?

on 19/09/2011, Bob Engelhardt supposed :
Alyson wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:03 am, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:
On 9/17/2011 19:49, Alyson wrote:

What type of metal rod/strip could I insert in a pad that could then
be molded to fit a knee without breaking when bent and unbent
repeatedly?
Just design it so that stress stays elastic..
After that take cyclic fatigue into consideraton..

Some spring steel flat might be a good start..

Thanks...
Would spring steel hold its shape in order to hold the pad on my knee
until I wanted to unbend it to take it off?

Ah, that's much clearer ... we were thinking that you wanted this to bend as
your knee bent. To use it to hold you knee pads on, you would want spring
steel in the "holding" shape. Then it would _flex_ enough to remove it,
without needing to bend it to a different shape.

As a wild-ass guess, I would say the piece should be about 3/4 to 1" wide &
maybe .030 thick. That would give a pretty strong hold & you need that.

Bob

Wouldn't Velcro be better.I recently made some foam rubber pads, that
we christened "Shoes for Knees" for a child who cannot walk but crawls
around.
Reports from the mother say they work well.
The rubber was a ompact foam which I was able to mold to a knee shape
by warming it to about 200degrees F.
I could get a better definition of the rubber if anyone is interested.

--
John G.