Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_26_] Andy[_26_] is offline

Default Blue LED night lites from the Dollar Store

On Sep 18, 12:12 pm, Home Guy wrote:

Your typical high-brightness white LED can be powered to full brightness
by applying about 3.0 volts and maybe 25 milli-amps max. That works out
to 0.075 watts. You can buy high-brightness white LED's from Digikey
for anywhere from 10 to 25 cents each.

I don't know why or how your blue LED would draw 400 milliwatts. That's
crazy, unless there are 4 or 5 LED's in each unit.

You should just go with the cheap white LED's. They give off a more
natural light vs those blue ones.

Andy comments:

There's other stuff in the blue LED lamp that makes it work only
on
the half cycle (there's maybe 50%), and a couple current limiting
resistors
also.... That's why the total power is so high... It is designed
with
some internal protection against transients that are always active.

Yes, I agree completely that the white versions are preferable from
a "light output" standpoint. If they become available, for a buck,
I'll
buy them instead.... Actually. the next time I'm at TANNER in
Dallas, I'll buy a high output white and substitute it and see how
it works.... Thanks for the suggestion...

Andy in Eureka, P.E.