Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L[_3_] Phil L[_3_] is offline

Default Removing a chimney

Jim K wrote:
On Sep 17, 8:55 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
F wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but
I think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney
(2 bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled over?

2 men at 100 each, plus materials at about 75...say another 75 for
profit and getting rid of the bricks, so 350 ish.

They should have it done in about 5 hours....forget scaffold and all
that ****e, it's totally unnecesary, the bloke on the roof will
lower down 3 or 4 bricks in a bucket on a rope until it's all down,
and this is the only use of a second man - without him it would be
probably a full day for one

where you based Phil?

I'm in the NW.

I would probably do this type of job on my own and charge about £175, I
can't see it taking more than about 8 tiles at £1.50 a pop, a fiver's worth
of timber and felt and a quid's worth sand/cement, so £25 would **** it for
materials, even if it's on the ridge and it needs a new ridge tile