Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Finishing basement: walls or floors first?

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 20:44:53 -0700 (PDT), millinghill
wrote:

Hi.
I waterproofed the basement exterior last year and I'm finishing the
basement interior this year. It's concrete block walls on concrete
slab.
My plan is to glue 2" styrofoam insulation sheets to the interior wall
in a contiguous manner (to act as insulation and vapor barrier),
install metal studs in front of this insulation, and then install
concrete board or paperless sheetrock in front of that. My goal is to
make it as unattractive as possible for mold growth. I've read that
this is an accepted practice.

I also want to install ceramic tile on the floor.

If I put the walls up first, I'll never be able to run the tile to the
concrete block wall and thus create a depression around the perimeter
where, if I got water, would cause problems as it's not seen.
If I install the ceramic tile floor first, I run the risk of damaging
the tile during wall installation.

What is the typical approach in this case??
All advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Consider how the living space of a house is constructed -- the deck
(sub-floor) is constructed first and then the walls. After the walls
are built and drywalled the attention turns to the floor. The
underlayment is installed and then the floor covering -- tile, carpet,
hardwood or whatever. I can't imagine building the floor UNDER the
walls.