Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default What type of metal can bend repeatedly without breaking?

On Sep 17, 4:43*pm, James Waldby wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:42:08 -0700, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:16:05 AM UTC-7, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
On 9/17/2011 19:49, *Alyson acoo... wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:03, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:
On 9/17/2011 19:49, Alyson wrote:

What type of metal rod/strip could I insert in a pad that could
then be molded to fit a knee without breaking when bent and
unbent repeatedly?

There is no metal that will do this forever. *But soft aluminum wire is
pretty good, and cheap.

Well, there aren't any other wiseasses around today, so I better
mention:

Ga *(Gallium metal)

Gallium will deform indefinitely, because (in contact with a knee) body
heat will melt it.

In that case, why not just go with mercury, already melted. *You
ought to be more sensible about these things! *Obviously, strips of
gold, the most malleable metal, would be the best thing to use. *I
think a cross-section of about 1/8" x 1/2" would be good, because
that's about the size used for aluminum strips in temporary casts
or braces for wrists, elbows, etc., and gold, silver, and aluminum
all have about the same Young's modulus.

--
jiw

Pure gold shouldn't work harden.
Karl