Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What type of metal can bend repeatedly without breaking?

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 11:22:07 -0700 (PDT), Alyson
wrote:

On Sep 17, 11:16*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,

*Alyson wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:03 am, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:
On 9/17/2011 19:49, Alyson wrote:

What type of metal rod/strip could I insert in a pad that could then
be molded to fit a knee without breaking when bent and unbent
repeatedly?

Just design it so that stress stays elastic..
After that take cyclic fatigue into consideraton..

Some spring steel flat might be a good start..

Thanks...
Would spring steel hold its shape in order to hold the pad on my knee
until I wanted to unbend it to take it off?

There is no metal that will do this forever. *But soft aluminum wire is
pretty good, and cheap. *Art stores sell such wire for use as armatures
in plaster sculpture.

Black or galvanized iron wire is also pretty good, in the thicker
grades. *McMaster-Carr is a good source.

You will also need wirecutting pliers and a file (to smooth the cut ends
of the wire).

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much to all of you for the ideas...

http://www.townsenddesign.com/Townse.../Products.html

They are located in Bakersfield, California and Ive done some work for
them in the past.

Good stuff!

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)