Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Options for Tapping

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:03:10 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

If this is a dedicated tapping setup there is certainly no need for a
manual reverse. It would not be difficult to rig up a limit switch depth
stop to kick the spindle into reverse.

I agree, but many of the customers considering this type of set-up don't
have the expertise to do that... Such as the skateboard manufacturer in CA
that does a thousand boards a week and wants to drill 4 holes at a time.
It's a bunch of woodworkers with basic mechanical skills building boards for
online sales... They don't even have three phase power in their shop. They
simply want to buy a drill press and a multi-head and be done with it.

Setup appropriately with your air
drive? stroke control this could be a simple load part, press the pair
of hand buttons and watch the automatic tap cycle complete, change
parts, press buttons, etc.

We absolutely offer that - but again, to higher end customers with a need
and ability to use a machine like that. We will even gang drill multiple
machines controlled by PLCs do perform as many as a hundred tapped holes per
cycle... This is the exact opposite end of the spectrum I'm trying to cater
to.

Also dont forget that you can use a simple foot peddle and reversing
relay for 3ph machines such as a bridgeport for very easy manual
tapping. A foot switch with a peddle cover is best and can simply be
hooked between the spindle motor and power leads..or between the wall
plug and the machine power lead.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)