Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alyson Alyson is offline

Default What type of metal can bend repeatedly without breaking?

On Sep 17, 11:16*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,

*Alyson wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:03 am, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:
On 9/17/2011 19:49, Alyson wrote:

What type of metal rod/strip could I insert in a pad that could then
be molded to fit a knee without breaking when bent and unbent
repeatedly?

Just design it so that stress stays elastic..
After that take cyclic fatigue into consideraton..

Some spring steel flat might be a good start..

Thanks...
Would spring steel hold its shape in order to hold the pad on my knee
until I wanted to unbend it to take it off?

There is no metal that will do this forever. *But soft aluminum wire is
pretty good, and cheap. *Art stores sell such wire for use as armatures
in plaster sculpture.

Black or galvanized iron wire is also pretty good, in the thicker
grades. *McMaster-Carr is a good source.

You will also need wirecutting pliers and a file (to smooth the cut ends
of the wire).

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much to all of you for the ideas...