Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Removing a chimney

F wrote:
On 17/09/2011 07:47 Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 10:33 pm, John wrote:
On 16/09/2011 21:12, Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

+ scaffolding and a skip, so double that...

well was thinking tower scaffold& roof ladders - which most
reasoonable builders seem to be able to get hold of if not already
own?

Ouch! I was hoping for less than half that. Perhaps the local guy might
weave his usual magic and use just ladders.

Doing that sort of work off a ladder is lunacy. A scaffold tower would
seem to be a good compromise if you have sufficient space for one to be
erected and the chimney is on an end wall. A local handyman type would
possibly have a scaffold tower. A bigger building firm are most likely
to go down the H&S route of needing a proper scaffolding to be put up.
You possibly don't need a skip if you are prepared to do a few trips to
the dump and clear up after the contractor.

Bob