David W.E. Roberts

Default Longish query - circuit breakers in consumer units

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
snip
Most makes will fit most boards. However, many will claim that you should
not do so, or that it will invalidate the guarantee. If you are worried,
then buy Siemens ones, if you can find them.

**
I would if I could - it is the obvious safe solution.
However I can't seem to Google any suppliers.
Hence the question about universal fit
**
snip
BTW, I'm slightly worried by some of your questions. You might want to
consider doing the main wiring up of the circuits and then get an
electrician in to test and make the final connections. You need some very
expensive test gear to do the circuit testing, not a 2.99 multimeter from
Maplins.

Christian.

Thanks for the prompt response and good advice.
I have read the FAQ on testing a circuit - it says "You need a low
resistance ohm-meter with good resolution, say a range of 0 - 2 ohms with
divisions of 0.05 ohm. ".
Is this the really expensive test gear you mention?
If so, how much is 'very expensive' likely to be?

I am pretty confident that I can safely connect to a consumer unit - I have
done so several times in the past just not to one of these new fangled fancy
gizmos you young fellas seem to favour these days :-)

On reflection, as you suggest, keeping the lighting power on may not be the
greatest move - I was lured by the joys of electric light instead of a torch
:-)

If the test gear is unreasonably expensive I will chat to our local
electrician about commissioning the wiring.

Cheers
Dave R