Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:23:07 -0400, John Gilmer
wrote:

I would guess that it depends upon the size of the tank.
Anyone can buy 4.25 lb. grill propane tanks.
I don't know about oxy/acetylene tanks since I haven't used them since
my Navy days 50 years ago, but I remember them having tanks the
thickness of some armored vehicle bodies (not Tanks).

I have seen 100# (pounds not gallon) LPG tanks for sale. I have one but
no longer use it. When I used it, I simply put it in the back of my
car and drove it down to a "re-fill" place. The "re-fill" place was
run out of the office of a trailer park and was set up as much as a
convenience for the trailer owners as outsiders.

Many folks take the 20# tanks to "re-fill" places rather than the tank
exchange places. It's usually about $5 cheaper to re-fill over
exchange. When you tank gets to be "re-proofed" you simply take it to
an exchange place and hope you get one with more time left. Many
exchange places don't give the customer the choice of tank.

There is a "heavy duty" LPG tank intended for use of LPG powered fork
lifts and other wheeled equipment that have a battery powered
counterpart. In many/most places these LPG fork lift trucks with the
heavy duty tanks can be used in large but enclosed spaces like
warehouses. The extra heavy construction makes the tank safe from
being punctured in a "reasonable" industrial accident.

Actually, MOST fork lift tanks are aluminum instead of steel - making
them easier to manhandle - but no stronger than a "camper" tank.

Most are also "liquid takeoff" rather than "vapout take-off" tanks.