Posted to misc.consumers.house,sci.engr.lighting,alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein[_2_] Don Klipstein[_2_] is offline

Default incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

On 2011-09-12,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On 12 Sep 2011 14:36:41 GMT, Han wrote:

slight snip to edit for space
If you leave your TV on standby when not watching, then that is a
significant portion.

Wrong. On standby it's next to nothing. When it's on (a significant
part of the day) it's around 100X the power.

I have a TV and a "Kill-A-Watt" meter. My TV consumes 12 watts when
"off" and averaging about 70 watts when "on".

500W on/5W standby = 100x. Next.

As a result, I have a power strip to cut power to my TV for the majority
of the day when I am sleeping, at work or commuting, using my computer, or
doing other activities besides TV-watching.

Not worthwhile.

SNIP from here

12 watts * 22 hours/day * 365 days/1 year * 1KW/1000W * $.14/KWH =
$13.49/year in the case of my TV. In my case, the power strip paid for
itself in less than a year.
--
- Don Klipstein )