Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default New streetlamps

On Sep 14, 11:06*am, Jethro wrote:
local council have decided they need to replace and resite streetlamps in
our ward ... looking out I can see a few rings of plastic barriers around
some holes.

Looks like they are moving them back from the kerb to the property
boundary. And we're getting a couple on new ones too.

The old lamps were metal ... so are the new ones. Personally I would have
thought they could have sold the old ones for a vast profit (given the
prices of scrap metal) and then replaced with pre-cast concrete ones.

I wonder of any enterprising metal thieves have turned up in someones
road in hi-vis jackets, and removed all the streetlamps ? I'd guess they
weigh at least 100Kg a piece, so 10 is a tonne ...

Concrete posts went out of production mid -80`s , have Concrete
Utilities ltd , now CU Phosco , light outside my window.

http://www.cuphosco.com/History.html

Corrosion can , literally, be a killer to metal lamp posts , dog urine
is suprsingly corrosive, was about 2 deaths a year attribiuted to lamp
posts falling on people.

Modern streetlights are usually some form of high pressure sodium, its
whiter thamn low pressure sodium which is distinctive monochrome
yellow, only place left making the lamps is Philips factory in
Hamilton. Concrete posts can have a retrofit new head put on them.

Cheers
Adam