Posted to misc.consumers.house,sci.engr.lighting,alt.home.repair

Default incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:07:04 -0400, willshak wrote:

wrote the following:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:58:41 -0400, Victor Roberts
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:57:33 -0500, "
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:16:38 -0400, Victor Roberts
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:41:57 -0500, "
wrote:

[snip]

CFLs will always be ugly and I'm not convinced that LEDs will be any better
for omnidirectional fixtures. That's the primary reason I've laid in a
lifetime supply of incandescents.
Why? What is it about CFLs that make you believe they will always be
ugly?
The nature of the beast.

If you are unable (or unwilling) to cite the specific performance
feature or features you object to, I must assume that your objections
are based on some sort of prejudice against the technology, rather
than its actual performance.

Good God, you're stupid. What is hard about *ugly* to understand? The light
from many is ugly, they're slow to start but that's not the issue, here.

The point is that they're butt ugly hanging out of fixtures where the bulb is
visible. Got it?

excessive sig snipped

All the cfls in my house are no more visible that the incandescents they

^^^^^^^^
replaced, except for one ceiling lamp in the basement. They are hidden
by either lamp shades, lenses, or desk lamp reflector shells. I don't
know about you, but I find an incandescent bulb hanging out of a fixture
rather ugly itself.

Another clueless jerk heard from.