Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Ouch. Outside Amana central air conditioning unit. Compressor. $4000?

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 05:13:36 +0000 (UTC), arkland
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:29:58 -0700, Oren wrote:

I would at least ask for the service charge be returned. Check your
state contractor's board web site for previous complaints or perhaps
make a complaint with them.

I never heard of a state contractor's board. I'm in California, in Santa
Clara County. Lemme look that up...

It looks like I can file a complaint he
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/consumers/Fil...AComplaint.asp

I'm confused though as this "state contractors board" seems to be for
'new construction' only.

This from your link.

Complaint Jurisdiction

[...]

"The term "contractor" includes those individuals or firms that offer
services to improve real property, including, but not limited to, home
building, remodeling, room additions, swimming pools, painting,
roofing, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, heating and air
conditioning, and installation and repair of mobile homes."

_Check a Contractor License or Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS)
Registration_

"Look up a contractor license or Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS)
registration to verify information, including complaint disclosure.
Before hiring a contractor or signing a contract, CSLB recommends you
read the Hiring a Contractor page."

https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLicense.aspx

In Nevada, NSCB even has a "most wanted" list of crooked
"contractors."

http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/most_wanted.php