Lobster

Default New Suspended floor in bathroom

(Lobster) wrote in message . com...

Spookliy enough, I'm probably about to do something very similar;
building a raised floor in bedroom 3 (formerly bathroom) to enable
soil pipes etc from what will be an internal bathroom to reach the
external wall. (I can't see any other way of doing it given the
layout of the house and joists etc).

What I was going to do was essentially nail new joists parallel to and
directly above the existing structural joists (not sure whether its
worthwhile/necessary to remove the floorboards first - may do so just
to ensure I can see any hidden wiring/pipes!). The soil pipe will be
traversing the structural joists diagonally (which is why I can't
'bury' it below floor level), so the new timbers will just have a gap
where the pipe goes through. (This is upstairs in a terraced house
BTW).

While I haven't ruled out the above, an architect visiting the
property has suggested a Plan B which would not involve raising the
floor, but having the soil pipe traverse the kitchen ceiling concealed
within cladding to make it look like a beam. Visually it would look
OK but I have my doubts on two fronts:

(a) Would building regs object to a soilpipe basically attached to the
kitchen ceiling?!

(b) I can get adequate fall on the soil pipe, but it would probably
need to have 4 or even 5 90-deg bends between the bathroom floor and
the entry to the stack. Although I'll be able to cover the whole pipe
from suitably positioned rodding access points, it doesn't sound like
great plumbing practice to me to have that number of corners. Is this
normal and is it likely to work OK? What does the uk.d-i-y panel
think? (Note I will be selling the property once work is complete, so
personally wouldn't be too bothered if we're only talking about a very
small increased risk of blockages...)

Thanks
David