Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default An interesting read about the poor in the US

On Sep 16, 3:33*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
wrote in message

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:38:46 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

I pay $14 a month for basic cable.

The $15 a month service here (really more like $30 with taxes and
fees) pretty much gives you what you can get with a coat hanger, Local
broadcast channels.

I'm in a valley between Balto. and DC so when I had analog rabbit ears, I
could detect any and all air traffic but got really lousy reception
otherwise. *)-: * I barely see anything with HDTV - only one station comes
in and that pixelates often.

On the other hand, with basic cable I get things like CSpan, WGN, two
university channels with 24 hour educational programming and a clear, ghost
free signal on the channels I couldn't get short of a roof antenna and a
rotor. *I used to get a lot more, but Comcast has been steadily dropping
analog channels. *Things will change when Comcast abandons its analog
transmission but I've hung on with analog because I believe they'll have to
provide me with a free converter if they want to switch to all digital
sooner than the FCC allows. *(-: We'll see.

That may be the time I repair my roof mounted aerial and switch to OTA HDTV
completely. The issue now is that my "home" CATV network is still almost all
analog. *We have HDTV's in the LR and BR connected to DVD players for
Netflix. *News, network TV and the rest of it go to the analog network and
an assortment of 13" to 25" analog color TVs.

I've found I can pay an awful lot for premium cable and STILL find times
where there's nothing on I want to watch. *My friends with 500 some odd
channels on his system says the same thing.

--
Bobby G.

You need a satellite dish so you can watch foriegn TV and get some new
ideas/viewpoints.