Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default Are you poor?

On 9/13/2011 10:40 PM, Bill wrote:
On 9/13/2011 10:01 PM, Steve B wrote:
lid wrote in message
On 2011-09-14, Steve wrote:
I guess I am. I do not have some of the things mentioned here that some
"poor" people have ...........

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09...says-most.html

I guess if I just gave more of my income in taxes...........

My guess would be that you have cable TV, air conditioning, computers,
but no video game system. Right or wrong?

Correct. I play 888 poker occasionally, and have $512,000 now, but
only in
play dollars. As for game systems, I just don't have the time. I do play
pool from 15-60 minutes daily, though. Regulation table. And I'm not
going
to pay what they want for a game system or those games. I'll buy more
beer
brewing equipment or tools or materials.

Steve

very odd. I don't have AC, I don't have cable TV, I don't have a wide
screen TV, so I must be poor - the fact that I don't actually want these
things, or that I don't feel that they are worth the cost seems to not
matter? or is the heritage foundation saying that the poor really aren't
poor?

Yep, that's it. That right wing group of nut balls wants people to think
that if you have a fifty dollar microwave, and a 100 dollar TV, and you
have a 150 dollar window air conditioner, then you're not really poor.
In fact, you're living large because they will compare your belongings
to those of a Somali and bitch at you for complaining that you have so
little. It all goes along with their pitch that the republican trickle
down economics plan has really been a great boon for everyone in the
country and not just the rich. Which, of course, is an outright lie.
Everyone except the rich is poorer than they were a decade ago.

Hawke

Hawke