Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default An interesting read about the poor in the US

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:38:46 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

So what?
I'd guess they have to pay their electric and gas bills too.
Do they have insurance for their cars?

Only because insurers have turned the state governments into their
collection agencies.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ers/50363390/1

According to this the uninsured rate is almost equal to the "poverty
rate."
When I renew my plates here in Illinois the online screen wants your
insurer, policy number and expiration date.
I have no idea if they cross-reference that with the insurer files
real time. Doubt it.
You can see plenty of work-arounds there.
The biggest risk to having no insurance is an accident or a traffic
stop with no insurance card.
I had a state cop cut me loose on an expired plate when I told him I
just forgot to put the sticker on the plate.
But he cited me for no insurance card when I couldn't find it.
The damn thing was hidden, stuck to another card in my wallet.
Dismissed at traffic court, but that trip was unnecessary.

--Vic