LRod

Default Shopsmith pricing

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:34:07 -0500, "GRL"
wrote:

I have heard that a new Shopsmith machine now costs $3,000. Knowing what
good quality Jet, Delta, and Grizzly equipment costs, this leads me to ask
three questions. (1) Are the people at Shopsmith completely out of their
minds in their pricing?, (2) How is it that Shopsmith is still in business
with that kind of pricing?, and (3) Does anybody actually buy Shopsmith
machines at this sort of price?

I mean, it's a fairly nicely made machine, pretty compact, and pretty
durable, but $3,000?

I watched a demo a couple of weeks ago at the local borg. The guy
doing it was really good and made the machine sound irresistable.
However I have a shop full of better tools so I was truly just a
spectator. I did notice that he rolled the price out without so much
as a cough. I couldn't have done that. In fact, I coughed myself.

One spectator mentioned the possibility of buying one for his son. I
am SO glad that my family knows better than to buy me tools without
checking first. I would have been very disappointed if my parents had
popped almost 3 grand for a Shopsmith for me.

Later, I looked at several ebay auctions and felt sick that the one
guy was close to writing a check at the borg when he could save more
than $2K by going online and buying used.

Of course that's just me. Maybe he would have liked a Shopsmith.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net