Posted to misc.consumers.house,sci.engr.lighting,alt.home.repair

Default incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:13:12 -0400, Victor Roberts
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:13:33 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:27:36 -0400, "Michael Angelo" michael@angelo wrote:

No need to stock up on old technology,

Too late. I've already piled up about 400 60W clear bulbs.

energy-saving halogens to the rescue.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...-bulb-ban-0711

http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_e...oducts&lang=en

Halogens are great for some uses. I don't like them where the bulb is part of
the looks of the fixture, which almost all of mine are. They're blinding if
directly in the eyes. Shadows seem worse, too.

There is no reason why a halogen incandescent lamp cannot be desiogned
with the same light diffucing coating used for regular incandescent
lamps. Have you ever seen a normal incandescent lamp in a clear bulb?

Certainly. I have a lifetime supply squirreled away. I have something like
50 of them around my house (one of many reasons CFL is out). If you'd been
reading, you would have known this.

It is also rather blinding. The issue of "blinding" is not related to
halogen or non-halogen.

Sure it is.