Edwin Pawlowski

Default Shopsmith pricing

GRL wrote:
I have heard that a new Shopsmith machine now costs $3,000. Knowing
what good quality Jet, Delta, and Grizzly equipment costs, this leads
me to ask three questions. (1) Are the people at Shopsmith completely
out of their minds in their pricing?, (2) How is it that Shopsmith is
still in business with that kind of pricing?, and (3) Does anybody
actually buy Shopsmith machines at this sort of price?

I mean, it's a fairly nicely made machine, pretty compact, and pretty
durable, but $3,000?

Am I missing something?

I've seen them for sale for many years. IIRC, they wre always advertised in
Popular Science and the like. For the price, you can get a nice collectionof
individual machines, but the space is a selling factor.

I read the local shoppers paper looking for tools. The most popular tool
for sale is the Craftsman table saw, Craftsman RAS, and the Shopsmith. I've
have never seen a Delta or Jet and only once saw a Grizzley. I don['t know
what conclusions you can draw from that, b ut my guess is that people buy
them with good intentions and find woodworking is not a good hobby for them.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome