Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence Post Question?? ( Rico. )

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:20:10 -0700 (PDT), Red wrote:

On Sep 14, 9:08*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, just go to google and search "putting fence posts in
concrete", and there are plenty of horror stories out there, about
trying to remove an old fence post that has been set in 20 year old
concrete! One of the neighbors on my street had to remove a broken fence
post that was set in concrete. It took him and 2 other guys OVER AN HOUR
to dig out the concrete, so that they could put in a new fence post.
Made a HUGE mess too! Thats why I was asking if it is absolutely
necessary to set fence posts in concrete.

Hmmp! Why remove the old concrete? Dig a new hole beside it, set a
new post, replace the 8' fence rails with 9' ones on the longer side,
and cut the rails on the shorter side to fit. Your fence boards will
still cover the same area. You won't see the difference on your side
of the fence and only one neighbor "might" make a comment.

Tough to do for the corner post.