Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default CRT TV repair, power supply defect.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:56:26 -0700 (PDT), Vernon Paul
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a phillips 29 inch tv(model PT4423) which lost power suddenly.

After replacing a shorted chopper transistor in the switching
circuit and two open resistors the TV came back to live with another
problem.

When ever a picture is pumped into the TV's AV sockets the picture
shrinks vertically before shutting down. Further attempts to on the tv
after that is not possible, unless the power is recycled.

I'm not familiar with that chassis, but you didn't say whether the B+
was OK.

Another thing to check would be the components in the line stage, eg
the tuning capacitor.

I'd also verify the secondary loads on the FBT, perhaps by monitoring
the current in the fusible resistors.

- Franc Zabkar