Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are you poor?

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:20:51 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

While I likely could *afford* the "luxuries" mentioned, I don't allow morons
to dictate where I spend my money. The very notion that TV is one of the
requirements for a happy life is nothing short of BS.

My electric bill went up to $51 last month due to a/c usage, and I'm
worth every penny. I'm hot and tired when I come home and need respite
from the near 100F temps if I'm going to get up and do it again the
next day.

I, too, refuse to let morons dictate where I spend my funds, and was
not happy to send off yet another $550 check to the IRS this week
toward next year's taxes. The gov't seems to think that since we pay
taxes, they can waste the money on frivolous bull****.
I think our country would do _much_ better with about 3/4 fewer gov't
employees and 3/4 fewer (mostly redandant) programs.

http://www.akdart.com/pork.html
http://www.akdart.com/grichar.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=what+...re+superfluous
This last search nets us 13,100,000 hits alone.

I question the
sanity of *anyone* that permits an entity to sell them a signal that is
loaded with paid advertising----especially when the advertising is likely
better than the programming that it buys. I can't get interested in either
of them, quite frankly.

Har! I think you're right about the ad quality vs the programming,
but both suck the big one.

Do I have a TV?

Yep, I do. But, there's no way in hell I'm going to shell out more than
$30/month, endlessly, for the garbage they put on the tube these days.

I get two stations, one a PBS, the other, Fox. I watch 60 Minutes on the
computer, at my convenience.

I'm with you, Gunner. Our stereo (and listening to FM) gets the best
workout, and it's worth every penny it cost.

I don't listen to or watch broadcast radio or TV in my house any
longer, and I'm happier for it. I save $80 a month and don't have to
listen to inane commercials 24/7.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton