Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jw@myplace.com is offline

Default Flashing v/s Constantly ON lightbulbs

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:18:46 -0500, "HeyBub"

I wonder if there is an answer to this?

I was watching one of those flashing battery operated barricades they
put on road construction sites. The bulbs are incandescent, similar
to the bulbs used on taillights on cars. (except the new LED type).

I came up with two questions:

1. Which consumes more electricity, a bulb that is constantly on, or
flashing?
(My thinking says it would be the constant on bulbs would use more
electricity) ??????? [but that's just a guess]

For safety barricades and the like, amount of electricity consumed or length
of filament life is WAY down on the list of needed features. Some above it
a brightness, dependability, immunity to rain, snow, etc., cost, and
securability.

I can see that as accurate, but I was referring to any incandescent
bulb for any use. It's just the barricade that made me ask the
question. Actually we all have taillights in cars that flash, even
though they are not left on for long periods, the filament for the
flasher almost always seems to burn out first on the common 1157
bulbs.