Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Float Chargers

I had a marine battery, years ago. Kept on a Harbor Freight
float charger. when I next checked, it needed 1 1/2 quarts
of distilled, and never held a charge again. But, I saved
five bucks on the charger. Whoopee.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jack" wrote in message
Float chargers are attached to the 12v in the generator, and
also to
two 12v that provide back-up for the sump-pump. Neither of
these
units is used every day; in fact, the sump-pump batteries
have never
been used in seven yrs. So, presumably, the chargers main
function in
these applications is to keep the 12v from discharging due
to lack of
use.

But beyond that, do chargers, theoretically, keep batteries
ready and
able to run indefinitely? Or will the cells eventually die
of old age
despite the chargers, much like a well-preserved, fit old
person: Bob
Hope, Geo. Burns, Jack LaLanne?