David Hearn

Default 4" roof joists @ 30cm spacing - planning to board out loft

I'm planning on boarding out our loft so we can store some boxes up there
easily. The joists are 4"x2" with a 30cm gap between them. It's a 1930's
semi BTW. The joists appear to be half the length of the house, with them
meeting (and joined I assume) over the middle wall of the house. This has a
(measured from outside wall to middle wall) 11' span at the front of the
house and a 13' span at the back of the house.

The way the loft and roof is layed out, there's a large centre part which
would be best for storage due to height of roof and ease of access into the
loft. This centre of this area is over the middle wall.

Any idea what sort of loading may be possible? I would prefer not to have
to add anything extra to the joists if I can help it. It shouldn't be used
for anything more than storage of boxes, and not terribly heavy ones at that
(as I have to carry them up the ladder!).

I've heard that 3x2 flex a lot and therefore aren't really suitable for
boarding directly out onto, but does the extra 1" make much difference with
my 4x2's? Obviously, thicker joists would allow for more insulation - but
at the moment, I'm really looking for doing it with as minimal work (ie.
cost) as possible, and therefore really want to know about the loading of
what I've already got.

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.