Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe J Joe J is offline

Default Generac- cranking error?

"Smarty" wrote in message
On 9/11/2011 8:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks, Goldilocks. Half hour is.... JUST.... right.

Common sense is not common, any more.

Joe,

This newsgroup is not a particularly good place to get "expert" advice on
Generac / Guardian generators based on my prior experience. I suggest you
go to the link:

http://www.zillerelectric.com/forums/

where you will find Generac technicians, Generac installers, and a lot of
people with specific knowledge.

All of the Generac natural gas fired generators typically have a 12 minute
weekly exercise cycle which is not adjustable. Although this may not be
the optimal run time to clear out condensation, this is what Generac
engineers have chosen.

The carbs on these generators are indeed adjustable and have warm up
compensation and other governor and speed settings to insure the correct
RPM (typically 3600 or 1800) to make 60 Hz power. In addition, there have
been numerous modifications to the air filter housing and bellows and
hoses to improve and stabilize air flow. You may have wrong settings.

If you get crank errors, it is simply the microprocessor telling you that
5 unsuccessful attempts to crank the starter at 15 seconds apiece failed
to achieve start up. If you can manually start by using a longer crank
time, the battery and charging systems are not at fault. Most likely it is
an air / fuel ratio problem, solved with carb settings, bellows
replacement, hose replacement, or air filter housing adjustment.

Check with the people on Ziller's forum for help on your specific unit.

BTW, are you quite certain you have a 1.7 KW natural gas unit. Sounds too
small for natural gas. I am guessing maybe it is a 7KW?

Smarty

Thank you for the heads up. Registered now just waiting for permission to
post.